Summer is here, the beaches are calling, and parties are all over town, but you have all those big plans and goals you want to achieve. So how do you keep your motivation up when it seems like everyone else is partying down? Sure, you can take a summer break and forget about your goals for a few months, but how would you feel afterward? If you don’t care how you will feel, than your set goals may not that important. Maybe you are burned out, or maybe these are not your real goals anymore. If you are like me and want to stay in the game even during summertime and keep the momentum going, then keep reading.
It’s all about the balance. Depriving yourself of the activities that bring you joy may actually do you more bad than good. Even psychologists recommend building a favorite activity into your schedule every day. So what can you do?
- Decide what you want to achieve. Review the goal(s) you want to accomplish. Ask yourself: what is most important to me right now?
- Set up a timeline. Once you gain clarity on your priorities, set up a realistic timeline in which you can complete the goal(s) above.
- Split your goal into small parts. This will help you manage your progress and give you confidence in finalizing the tasks.
- Create a schedule, and then print it and follow it. Once you have split your goal into small activities, build a schedule around them. Having the rigor of an organized day will set expectations and give you a sense of fulfillment once each day’s goals are achieved.
- Build fun into your schedule. Adding sizzle into your schedule will make you look forward to every single day and will make your workday seem to go by faster.
- Have fun as you follow your schedule! Be disciplined about the steps you have set and follow each one through. Do the same with fun activities, and you will be amazed at how much you can get done, even as you enjoy life to the fullest.
Try it and share your success stories with me! May the summer be with you!